Thursday, January 16, 2020

Growth Mindset

I had never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset before. My general thoughts about growth mindset is that it is something that is very beneficial and can be helpful for many students, but growth mindset should not be the way that school primarily works. I thing that part of school should be based around growth mindset, but as discussed, it does not work well with grade based systems and this is required to some extent in order to evaluate performance of college and job considerations.
School (Pixabay)

One thing that I believe Carol Dweck is overlooking is that when they go to schools to implement test growth mindset in the classroom, they are providing higher education than would be provided in these areas. This could show that part of the problem in these areas is the under funding of the education system which I think is a major problem.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that maintaining a growth mindset is something that is helpful to foster personal growth and fulfillment. I do see your point that grade-based systems already established in our education system inhibits the full potential of the growth mindset, and that grades act as an indication of academic performance and dedication to college acceptance offices and employers. I definitely see the importance of maintaining a growth mindset to fulfill continuous improvement in one's self, but I also agree that the lack of funding in our education will deter major changes to curriculum grading standards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you one-hundred percent! While I also wrote about this previously and expressed support of the idea as it can be helpful when learning many other things, I do think that it falls short for the school system when it comes to funding and implementation. This could one day be a solution when the funding or culture is appropriate and I think it could have the potential to shock you with the results! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Wikipedia Trail: From Computer to C (programming language)

Computer : A computer is a machine that can be instructed to carry out sequences of logical operations automatically via computer programmin...